Working With You To Overcome Immigration Obstacles

How should I apply to extend my nonimmigrant stay?

On Behalf of | Jan 19, 2023 | Immigration

If you’re in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, you are well aware of how complicated it can be to determine the expiration date of your visa. When you want to remain for an extended period of time in Florida, you need to take steps to request an extension for a nonimmigrant stay.

Apply with the USCIS agency

If you’d like an extension of stay when your visa is about to expire, you’ll need to apply with USCIS. You must do this before the expiration date on your paper form I-94. Try to apply well in advance of this date. Remember that the Department of State is not responsible for extending nonimmigrant stay – you’ll have to contact USCIS with your inquiries.

How to know if I’m eligible for an extension

You’ll be eligible for an extension if your nonimmigrant visa status is currently valid, you haven’t committed a crime that would make you ineligible to receive a visa, you haven’t violated the conditions of your admission, and you have a valid passport that will remain valid for your entire stay.

File a Form I-539

The Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, is what you need to fill out and submit to extend your stay. You can submit a paper form or fill it out online. You have to submit evidence, pay your fees, and then you can check back online to receive case updates. You’ll be able to directly communicate with a representative and receive/submit any requests for evidence if you submit your form online.

It’s a fairly straightforward process to file an extension for nonimmigrant stay status. Make sure that you’re eligible and submit the form and any required evidence, and this should be a successful task.